Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How Quickly I forgot!

So, Sophie had a friend over here today. Her friend had scootered over to our house after swim practice.
The girls had a great day and early this afternoon they decided to go down the street to visit some neighborhood toddler twins. While the girls were there Sophie's friend's mother showed up to pick up her daughter. I explained where they were and asked if she wanted me to go get her daughter. Before she could answer, the phone rang and I had to answer it. She ran out the door and said "Just bring her home when they are done playing." "Okay" I shouted back at her. So, after some time I decided they had probably been at the neighbors long enough and that the twins were probably ready for a nap. So, I grabbed my car keys and stepped out the door to go pick up the girls and bring home the friend.

I didn't get very far.

I have no car.

I had forgotten that,

I have no car.

How do you forget something like that?

So, I went back inside called my friend and said, "I can't bring your daughter home."

"Why not?" She asked, even though she knew that I had no car because her daughter had SCOOTERED to my house from the club earlier in the day.

"Because, I have no car." I said.

Silence.

"OMG! How could I have forgotten??"

"Well, I forgot too."

Then she proceeded to tell me that she would pick up her daughter in about an hour. I said okay and we laughed and then hung up.

Wait a minute. What about our commitment to riding? to being green? to making a smaller footprint?

The girl only lived about 2 miles away. Granted there was a large hill but it was certainly doable, in fact, we had done it before. I asked the girls and they actually wanted to ride over.

I called the mom and said, "You know, don't worry, we'll just bike and scooter over."

Pause.

"That's okay. I'll just pick her up......"

I know that if I had a car in my driveway I would have driven her home too. It's just so easy.
In fact, I was ready to jump in the non-existent car myself.
But, I have to say I was a little disappointed we didn't ride over.
Maybe next time.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting Debbie! Just shows how strong our habits are and how they take over our ideals of how we behave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Deb. Enjoyed the writing and liked your point of view. It is a different world now than it was when you were growing up - though it doesn't seem that long ago to me!
    Anyway, great blog!
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete